- The student should become familiar with a wide range
of professional information about topics of concern in administrating a
school library program.
- The student should be familiar with features
necessary in planning facilities and apply this knowledge in a case
- The student should be aware of current issues and
trends in school library programs and be prepared to develop a position
on such issues and trends.
- The student should be familiar with administrative
procedures in a school library program, and have practice in developing
a planning document and budget; and a grant proposal.
To meet these objectives the student will be required to
complete the following:
- Learn how to access/evaluate databases and Internet
- Read excerpts from the Standards for the 21st Century Learner in Action and the
Texas School Library Standards.
- Read a wide range of professional information about
administering a school library program and prepare annotations of the
readings and summaries of presentations.
- Read the literature about facilities planning. Design
a facilities plan for a given situation using knowledge of necessary
features gained from class lectures and readings.
- Identify topics and read widely about current issues
and trends. Discuss issues in written reports and in class discussions.
- Using professional readings, develop a Five Year
Plan, budget and presentation for new teachers for the case study
- Prepare a grant proposal as part of a group.
- Participate in class discussions, projects,
professional associations, and field experiences.