Instructor: Unmil Karadkar

Course Meeting Times

Mondays, 1 - 4 PM, UTA 1.504

Course Description

Use of online information in our every day lives is now commonplace. We search for driving directions on the Web, look up recipes, preview upcoming movies, read chapters from soon-to-be-released novels, share vacation photos and videos, read news, the list is endless. Increasingly, classics and historical records are also becoming available to us in a digital form. How do we, the information professionals, make it easy for the masses to locate the information that they need or desire?

This course will focus on the creation and management of large digital collections. This includes collections created by converting materials from traditional media to a digital form as well as those comprising of born-digital items. We will study strategies and mechanisms for providing access to large, multimedia collections. We will study the impact of the availability of digital material on libraries and museums as well as its impact on public policy and its transformative effects on our society.

Instructor: Unmil Karadkar

Email:unmil@ischool.utexas.edu
Phone:(512) 471-9292
Office:UTA 5.426
Office Hours:Mondays 4:00 - 5:00 PM and by appointment

Teaching Assistant: Bhavna Verma

Email:bhavna8verma@gmail.com

Communication

Course announcements and updates

Announcements will be emailed to you. These will also be posted on the course web site or in blackboard. I recommend that you read your e-mail daily.

Please familiarize yourself with the University's official e-mail student notification policy. The complete text of UT's email policy and instructions for updating your e-mail address are available at http://www.utexas.edu/its/policies/emailnotify.php.

Scheduling appointments

I have an open door policy. You are welcome to drop by my office (UTA 5.426). I will do my best to make time for you. To be sure that I will have time when you come by, please email me to setup an appointment.

In-class communication

Courtesy, politeness, and openness go a long way in ensuring that we get the most return on our time together in class. I encourage you to be open to views expressed by other, especially, when these views may be unpopular or contrary to those widely accepted. Likewise, I encourage students to present a basis for their views as well as supporting arguments or evidence, where applicable.

Disability accommodation

Any student with a documented disability who requires academic accommodations should contact Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) at (512) 471-6259 (voice) or 1-866-329-3986 (video phone). I will be unable to provide accommodations without an official accommodation letter from SSD.

Please notify me as quickly as possible if the material being presented in class is not accessible (for example, instructional videos need captioning, course packets are not readable for proper alternative text conversion, etc.).