Instructor: Don Turnbull
Phone: (512) 232-3508
Office: SZB 562E
Office Hours: by appointment
Class Meeting Times: 3:00- 6:00PM, Thursday
Classroom: SZB 546
Course Website: http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/~i385df04
TA: Tom Kiehne
This advanced course reviews the theoretical foundations of information retrieval and information retrieval interfaces and applies these concepts for the development of lightweight text retrieval, designing novel search interfaces and building customized (or vertical) search applications.
- Participate generously in discussions, attend regularly and complete assignments according to the schedule.
- Work with other class members to interpret and design course projects.
- Understand the basics of Information Retrieval technology.
- Review frequency-based informetric laws and their applicability to information retrieval.
- Construction of a rudimentary search engine
- Develop search sidebar utilities for Web browsers
- Tuning and Adding to Web spider and robot applications.
- Analyzing Web search interaction logs.
- Designing and building Web portals (proactive search)
- Sparck Jones, Karen & Willet, Peter (1997) Readings in Information Retrieval. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc.
- Calishain, Tara and Dornfest, Rael. (2003) Google
Hacks. O'Reilly & Associates, Sebastopol, CA.
- Karp, David A. (2003) eBay
Hacks O'Reilly & Associates, Sebastopol, CA.
- Bausch, Paul. (2003) Amazon Hacks O'Reilly & Associates, Sebastopol, CA.
- Boswell, David; King, Brian; Oeschger, Ian; Collins, Pete & Murphy, Eric. (2002) Creating Applications with Mozilla. O'Reilly & Associates, Sebastopol, CA. Book Web site
- McFarlane, Nigel (2003) Rapid Application Development with Mozilla. Book Web site
To subscribe to the i385d course mailing list, follow these instructions:
- Address an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Leave the subject line blank.
- In the message body, type Subscribe i385df04 YourFirstName YourLastName.
- Remove any other text from the body of the message, such as a signature file.
- Send the email.
You will receive an automated message acknowledging your subscription. This message also will provide you with details on how to post messages, how to unsubscribe, and other administrative details. This and other pertinent information is also provided below.
To post a message to the listserv, address your message to:email@example.com