Instructor: Don Turnbull
Phone: (512) 232-3508
Office: SZB 562E
Office Hours: by appointment
This course surveys Knowledge Management systems that enable the access and coordination of knowledge assets. Technologies reviewed will include intranets, groupware, weblogs, instant messaging, content management systems and email in both individual and organizational contexts. Students will use these KM technologies, review case studies, research methods of knowledge organization and analyze and design KM processes and systems.
- Participate generously in discussions, attend class regularly, and complete assignments according to the course schedule.
- Understand the history, state-of-the-art and future of Knowledge Management System applications.
- Evaluate and implement Knowledge Management Systems to facilitate individual and group work.
- Develop a thorough review of Knowledge Management application type, both historical and speculative.
- Originate and distribute research on a Knowledge Management System topic.
- Davenport, Thomas H. & Prusak, Laurence (2000) Working Knowledge: How Organizations Manage What They Know. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.
- Rheingold, Howard. (2002) Smart Mobs: The Next Social Revolution. Perseus Publishing. www.smartmobs.com
- Kelly, Kevin. (1994) Out of Control: The Rise of Neo-Biological Civilization. www.kk.org/outofcontrol
- Sterling, Bruce. (1999) A Good Old-Fashioned Future: Stories
- Nonake, Ikujiro & Takeuchi, Hirotaka. (1995) The Knowledge-Creating Company: How Japanese Companies Create the Dynamics of Innovation.
- Choo, Chun Wei. (1998) The Knowing Organization: How Organizations Use Information to Construct Meaning, Create Knowledge, and Make Decisions.
To subscribe to the i385k course mailing list, follow these instructions:
- Address an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Leave the subject line blank.
- In the message body, type Subscribe kms YourFirstName YourLastName.
- Remove any other text from the body of the message, such as a signature file.
- Send the email.
You will receive an automated message acknowledging your subscription. This message also will provide you with details on how to post messages, how to unsubscribe, and other administrative details. This and other pertinent information is also provided below.
To post a message to the listserv, address your message to: email@example.com