- To understand the origins and development of the American public library.
- To define the multiple roles of the public library, how they evolved, and how they affect public library service.
- To consider library laws and their impact on the establishment and maintenance of public libraries and public library systems.
- To develop an understanding of the administrative and organizational characteristics of public libraries.
- To understand the similarities and differences between library systems and library networks and how they work together for better library service.
- To investigate the relationships between public libraries, public library systems, and state library agencies.
- To recognize the spectrum of public library services as they exist and are evolving.
- To focus attention on the variety of public library clientele, their needs, and the public library's response to these needs .
- To explore the role of popular culture and popular reading in serving public library patrons.
- To identify and debate the major trends and current issues in public librarianship.
- To develop grant writing skills through preparing a simulated application for a grant.
Last Modified: November 18 2010 11:11:40.