Module 1 >> Module
2 >> Module
3 >> Module
Module 5. Unit 3:
Planning for Life Long Learning and Course Summary
At the beginning of this class we aimed to achieve specific
learning objectives. These objectives included the follow
- Understand how the discipline and major theories of management evolved.
- Be able to perform some of the practical tasks that form an essential
part of a manager's role such as: strategic planning, evaluation
of systems and projects, budgeting, proposal writing, and marketing.
- Gain practical experience in solving problems inherent in supervising
employees in a variety of information service settings.
- Develop insights into his/her innate competencies, strengths and
weaknesses as managers, and recognize personal potential for
- Understand the nature and challenges of a "knowing
- Develop a personal philosophy of management.
Your development as a manager and as a leader will continue to evolve
as you acquire more experience and gain wisdom from life's successes
and failures. It is now up to you to build into your professional life
methods for life long learning and reflection on the topics we've explored.
You must find suitable professional settings in which you can reflect
on and explore day-to-day managerial problems and celebrations.
Read and reflect upon the above section.
Post to the Discussion Board in
in the forum entitled Individual Management Development Plan your
thoughts on the following questions:
Your management plan:
- In a few sentences, how would you describe your personal
- How do you plan to continue to develop as a manager? Provide
- Of the topics we explored, what do you wish we had explored
further? On what topic do you wish we had spent less time?
- Are there subjects related to management that you wish we
had covered? If so what are these topics?
- What future trends will managers be facing? Why do you suggest
- What was the most valuable lesson you learned or skill you
acquired in this course of study? Why?
As noted in the evaluation and assessment section of this course
Web site, participation in group activities and contributions to
discussions are valued at 5 points toward the final grade for the
class. During the first class we discussed that each student would
be evaluated by their group members for their contribution to the
Please complete the evaluation
form. This form is a compilation of evaluation
criteria developed by each work group.
Following the instructions for building your
e-portfolio, please complete
all elements of the portfolio and post the URL to your portfolio
in the discussion forum by that title.
July 6 11:30pm
section of Bb to the assignment entitled Group
Evaluations or to the Digital