Module 1. Unit 2. Tools for the Virtual
What are the technological requirements for participating in an online
- A moderate level of computer literacy.
- Convenient access to a Pentium II processor or the equivalent.
- Telecommunications access with a 28.8K or faster modem
(56K is recommended); broadband through cable modem or DSL is even
- 32 MB system RAM; 200 MB free hard disk space memory or sufficient
- Internet access with Mozilla, Firefox, or Safari, and CD-ROM capabilities.
What type of student tends to do well in the distance education environment?
Certain people are better suited to distance learning
than others. Review the following characteristics, and consider
how you plan to accomodate your behaviors that may be a challenge when
studying in an online environment. The statements below tend to describe
the profile for those who do well learning in an online environment:
- Meets the necessary technical requirements and is comfortable with
- Allocates the time and resources to dedicate to university-level
- Practices excellent comprehension with the written
word and use of e-mail as a communication medium.
- Is self-disciplined, self-guided, and committed to
- Has the ability to prioritize responsibilities and work independently.
- Asks for assistance when needed to build academic
and social support systems.
Chapters 1-3, p. 1-102.
Kirsner, Elements of Email Style
Review the information provided by
the University Libraries on "Off-campus Connection Problems."
Read the information about free software available to UT students
and download the latest version of the Virus Protection software
and any other items you may need from Bevoware.
Review the differences between online
and face-to-face learning.
Check your email address in the UT
Electronic Directory. If the directory does not list your
preferred email address, please modify
Go to Tutorials on
the iSchool Web site and take the tutorials on Getting Started
at the iSchool.
Go to the University of Texas Distance
Education Center's Basic Computer Skills site and review
the "how to's" provided there.
Complete the Technology Inventory survey found on Blackboard under Assignments.
Complete the Online Learning Assessment survey on Blackboard under Assignments.
Report to class on the Blackboard discussion
Learning about a)
your learning style and b) any special challenges you see to learning
in an online environment.
June 4 at 11:30pm